November 4, 2009

God Bless Our Clergy for their Sacrifice

by the Reverend Scott Homer

I just received the letter, the letter from the rogue “diocese” addressed to me. It was written by some assisting bishop I do not know. He lives far away and most of us have never heard of him. He speaks as if he has authority, yet he speaks for a small minority of the clergy and people of the Diocese of Pittsburgh. He appeals to a Canon that he has misapplied. He argues his case out of silence rather than from fact. This bishop, acting contrary to the will of the majority of our diocese and by remote control, like some sort of ecclesiastical drone aircraft, has notified me, along with over one hundred faithful, obedient and gifted clergy, that we have been “removed” as licensed, ordained priests of the Episcopal Church. But the judgment of this bishop and the renegade minority he represents are of little importance. I write for one reason and one reason only.

I write to express my deep gratitude to God for allowing me to serve alongside this extraordinary group of men and women in the Diocese of Pittsburgh who have demonstrated such great courage and strength, who have stood side by side and remained steadfast. I am awed by their devotion to the Lord and their willingness to suffer for the sake of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Some have lost pensions. Many have lost friends. All face limited career opportunities and an uncertain future as a consequence of their stand for Christ. They are to be admired and applauded. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for reminding me that the Lord we worship is still worthy of our best. I am praying that the Lord God of Hosts will see your faithful witness and will honor it with blessing and honor and power and that you will see righteousness vindicated in our day.

As I look at the other names listed with my own I am deeply moved. It is a great honor to serve amongst these presbyters at this momentous time in the Church. Thanks be to God and to the Lamb!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Scott, I am posting as anonymous as I have never done this b/f and don't know how! I am so honored to know you, even long distance! On the one hand, I am ashamed that I sat in silence at GS for so long, not realizing that things were as bad as they were. On the other hand, I praise God for the courage to act when I did. On the third hand(!), God's timing was perfect! Dick and I are delighted to be at St. Barnabas w/ Gene, learning and growing. Back to you...it is impossible to overstate the importance of what is happening. This is not just about TEC; it is a referendum re: Amer culture and values. I see bumper stickers that say God Bless America. Why ever would He when we have rejected Him? The struggles of the NT Christians seem so immediate and real. We are being called to show our true colors--as for me and my house... You and Brenda are in my prayers as you deal w/ the fallout from all this. In Christ's amazing love, Joanne Corradi

Anonymous said...

MAY the LORD BE WITH YOU NOW AND FOREVER

Anonymous said...

Blessings to you and to your congregation!
I Peter 1: 3 - 9.


Richard & Dorothy Ettensohn - members of Saint Luke's Anglican Church in Glendale/La Crescenta California, Diocese of Western Anglicans.