December 24, 2011

Visit to the Christmas Crib


“O Divine Redeemer Jesus Christ…I believe thou art the God of infinite majesty, even though I see thee here as a helpless babe.  Humbly I adore and thank thee for having so humbled thyself for my salvation as to will to be born in a stable.  I thank thee for all thou didst wish to suffer for me in Bethlehem, for thy poverty and humility, for thy nakedness, tears, cold and sufferings.

Would that I could show thee that tenderness which thy Virgin Mother had toward thee, and love thee as she loved thee.  Would that I could praise thee with the joy of the angels; that I could kneel before thee with the faith of St. Joseph; the simplicity of the shepherds.  Uniting myself with these first worshippers at the crib, I offer thee the homage of my heart, and I beg that thou wouldest be born spiritually in my soul.  Give me, I pray thee, the virtues of thy blessed Nativity…” 

(Excerpt from “Visit to the Christmas Crib,” St Augustine’s Prayer  Book)

No comments: